[ovirt-users] Cannot activate storage domain

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 07:39:36 UTC 2014

[+Sas - thanks for the link to virt-store usecase article inline]

On 12/18/2014 06:56 PM, Brent Hartzell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had actually gotten this sorted out, somewhat. If I disable server quorum
> on the volume, the storage domain will activate. The volume is/was optimized
> for virt store via oVirt. The brick in question was not the first brick
> added to the volume through oVirt however, it appears that it may have been
> the first brick in the replica being used, but I'm not certain how to find
> this out.

The recommended setting is to have both client and server side quorum
turned on. But turning on server-side quorum with a 2-way replica volume
would mean that your volume goes offline when one of the bricks goes down.

"gluster volume info" command will give you information about the volume
topology. So will the bricks sub-tab for Volume in oVirt. The order in
which the bricks are listed, is the order of the replica sets.

> Disabling quorum allowed me to get the VM's affected back online however, is
> this the recommended procedure? I tried to use replace-brick with another
> node but it failed because the failed brick was not available. Would we
> leave quorum disabled until that brick gets replaced? IE - rebuild the
> server with the same hostname/IP file structure and rebalance the cluster?

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Virt-store-usecase
- for recommendations on volume tunables.

You could add another brick to your volume to make it a replica 3 and
then turn on quorum?

For help on recovering your volume, I suggest you write to
gluster-users at gluster.org

> ////
>
> While that happened, I read somewhere about this happening with a replica 2
> - I've created a new volume with replica 3 and plan to test this again. Is
> there any info you can point me to for how to handle this when it happens or
> what the correct procedure is when a "first" brick fails?

>>> [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.vdsbroker.SpmStatusVDSCommand]
>>> (DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-47) [4e9290a2] Command
>>> SpmStatusVDSCommand(HostName = U23.domainame.net, HostId =
>>> 0db58e46-68a3-4ba0-a8aa-094893c045a1, storagePoolId =
>>> 7ccd6ea9-7d80-4170-afa1-64c10c185aa6) execution failed. Exception:
>>> VDSErrorException: VDSGenericException: VDSErrorException: Failed to
>>> SpmStatusVDS, error = [Errno 30] Read-only file system, code = 100
>>>
>>> 2014-12-17 19:57:13,363 INFO
>>> [org.ovirt.engine.core.vdsbroker.irsbroker.IrsProxyData]