[Users] Xeon 5060 support "Dempsey"

Peter Galgano peter at cleftstoneworks.com
Mon Feb 10 19:33:41 UTC 2014

Thank you Itamar, this is very helpful. When we restart our testing, we
will test this and update this post for future users to find.

snip

actually, i wonder which flag its missing that libvirt did not detect it as
any supported model.

endsnip

I can see if i can compare the function flags to determine the model of the
processor, and perhaps this will give us a clue as to a functional
differentiation between the netburst architecture and core architecture for
your purposes.

Does the hypervisor do anything different based on which extensions are
passed? I believe

I would note that RHEV system requirements is simply 64 bit and
virtualization extensions, I suppose all processors should be supported,
including older ones. I also assume the system will not run newer
processors as hosts, so I guess that the developers will have to update
this list of capabilities to be passed to qemu libvirt in the future, and
that the list of processors will become longer and more confusing over time.

I suppose you could have a facility where the user can query and manage the
host processor and the profile of capabilities passed to qemu?

Might it not be best to avoid identifying the "branding" the processor, and
instead concentrate on identifying and informing the user which
capabilities are found and will be passed to guests. You could warn users
if certain capabilities are absent which may be important, and expect the
user to update their hardware as they see fit. I frankly do not typically
care about processor functions unless I am lacking one that is required  by
the system I am running ie: vx extensions. I assume that other features may
limit which OS you run ie pae, nx, sse2 being required for Windows 8.
Otherwise I assume that extensions may increase performance or are not used
by most operating systems and software.

for example:

"the system found the following processor features on this host: vmx,sse2. The
following features will be passed to guests: qemu64,+sse2 . Note that some
processors may lack features that are required by guest os's or are
recommended for better performance. Note that this processor lacks NX
extensions and may not run Windows 8 guests.

Thank  you again for your assistance in understanding our situation, Itamar

Apologies if I am misunderstanding the situation, and my suggestions are
out of context.

Sincerely

Peter