[Users] possible to attach cloud-init data to vm started from cd rom?

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Wed Feb 12 12:37:48 UTC 2014

Hi,

I would like to know if the following scenario is supported in ovirt
(currently testing 3.3.2).

You have a vm with an attached disk.
You want to start this vm with an attached iso image via cd-rom
you want to pass to this started system cloud-init metadata via
"run once" or REST.

I know that ovirt passes the metadata by creating an ISO and
attaching this ISO to the VM as an CD-ROM itself.

My tests so far included the following:

1. shut down the vm
2. click run once
3. switch boot order to boot from cd-rom, attach an ISO
4. activate cloud-init metadata and pass some data over it

actual result: the system boots from hard disk, not from
the attached iso.

Second test:

1. shut down the vm
2. edit the vm, change boot order to boot from cd-rom, attach iso
2. click run once
4. activate cloud-init metadata and pass some data over it

actual result: the system boots from hard disk, not from
the attached iso.

Is this not possible or am I doing it wrong?

Any hints would be appreciated!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen