[Users] Help required: Selinux disable for ovirt iso image

David Smith dsmith at mypchelp.com
Wed Feb 19 19:05:25 UTC 2014

I apologize if this comes off a little brusque, but there's really a lot of
random information out there right now, to the point where i've seen it
confuse not only myself but other new installers. Based on the problems I
still have, I have a suggestion, and I also need some help.  Again, some of
this may come off as a bit of a TLDR Rant but if ovirt is to become
popular, I believe my experience as a hardware engineer, software/hardware
QA director/manager/engineer, may be valuable to this project.

Two things keep me from getting this system working for me in a useful
manner:
#1, and the most important blocker: Disabling or fixing selinux, using
ovirt-node-iso-3.0.3-1.1.vdsm.fc19.iso.

#2, getting raritan pdu support

For issue #1: I've had a lot of people say "disable selinux" or "fix
selinux" all over this user list and in recent replies. This really isn't
fully helpful information. Even stating "edit the /etc/selinux/config" or
use the kernel boot command "selinux=0" or read some other doc on the
internet. These all apply to full fledged releases, not to the ovirt iso
image. The main issue is that SSHD is not being allowed through selinux by
default on this image.  The right thing to do would be to fix the image and
re-release it, and DELETE the broken one that is currently available.
However a simple doc explaining how to persist the selinux disable or fix
the SSHD problem with selinux would be the easiest solution.
Others ran me down the path of "edit the selinux file and persist it" which
didn't work, but gave no productive help on how to make it permanent.
Equally I've been told to edit the grub config and add selinux=0 to the
kernel, however after attempting this, adding it manually at the grub boot
causes the system not to boot, and I haven't found the *right* grub.cfg
file to edit and persist to keep the changes.

For issue #2: I've hacked up some of the fence-agents scripts and am in the
process of attempting to figure out how to compile/set up my own local copy
to verify the raritan changes. Ideally the fence-agents folks would add a
"generic support" portion, which I may actually do myself as well, allowing
*any* PDU with at least the usual login/password/command/logout sequence to
be used. So you see, I'm not totally useless, I'm helping here.

Next suggestions:
A) Compatibility list
B) Cleanup of old project crap

For A)
For each release, I suggest there be a spreadsheet or simple document that
shows which ovirt ISO images are compatible with which manager versions.
There could be a wiki where people can add references to bug #s that have
been found and links to their solutions. Right now there are ancient docs
all over google searches that send people down paths of days of turmoil to
no avail.

For B)
When iso images or other releases are superseded because of blocking,
non-operable bugs, they should either be resolved and re-released or a
clear path to making them function be documented.  Once a re-release is
done, the old images should be wiped out or moved to a clearly marked
deprecated folder.

Thats my 100 cents worth, I really do appreciate the work and effort that
goes into this project, it appears to be a wonderful one, I hope to make
good use of it, but the initial learning curve is a real deal breaker I'm
sure for many others, especially not those willing and able to spend the
time hacking at it like I have for the past week.

Thanks!