[Users] Network question

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 13:32:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 02:54:28PM +0100, René Koch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/14/2014 09:10 AM, Hans-Joachim wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >so far I'm using the nodes host IP@/Interface as well as for the
> >ovirtmgmt network and host communication.
> >For performance/security reasons I'd like to move it into private
> >network, dedicated to oVIRT
> >
> >as requested... I'l give you more information about my 'problem' ;-)
> >
> >actual situation:
> >===========
> >Host -----------\
> >                        ----> eth0  10.1.2.3 no VLAN
> >ovirtmgmt ----/
> >
> >VMs ----------------> eth1 bridge no IP@ no VLAN
> >

> >requested situation
> >==============
> >Host ---------------> eth0 10.1.2.3 no VLAN
> >
> >VMs ----------------> eth1 bridge no IP@ no VLAN
> >
> >ovirtmgmt --------> eth2 192.168.1.2 no VLAN
> >

> >So, my question is, do I have to declare th IP@ of the ovirtmgmt in the
> >definion of Cluster/Hosts or can I stay with the host IP@?
> >

> This change isn't that easy, as you will loose connectivity from
> oVirt to your hosts and have to change patch cables. I would do the
> following:
> - configure 192.168.1.x ip on oVirt engine and keep 10.1.2.x address
> - put first host into maintenance mode
> - configure network on host on CLI to match your requested situation
> and patch host accordingly

> - edit host and change IP address to 192.168.1.x (or if you're using
> DNS-Name/hosts-entry for host communication change this)

Please note that if you are using ssl=True to communicate with the
hosts, and added the host with their IP address, their certificates
would become useless, and you'd have to re-add the hosts to oVirt.

The alternetive of changing the address on the DNS saves you this stage.
If that's your situation, you could even reconfigure ovirtmgmt from
ovirt-engine GUI - just remember to turn off the "connectivity check"
box. After fixing your DNS entry, the reconfigured host should become
reachable again.