[Users] Opinions needed: 3 node gluster replica 3 | NFS async | snapshots for consistency

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Feb 23 20:20:30 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Ayal Baron <abaron at redhat.com> wrote:

glusterfs has the capability but it hasn't been widely tested with oVirt yet and we've already found a couple of issues there.
afaiu gluster has the ability to define a tie breaker (a third node which is part of the quorum but does not provide a third replica of the data).

> > > Ovirt storage domain via NFS
> >
> > why NFS and not gluster?
> >

> Gluster via posix SD doesn't have any performance gains over NFS, maybe the
> opposite.

gluster via posix is mounting it using the gluster fuse client which should provide better performance + availability than NFS.

> Gluster 'native' SD's are broken on EL6.5 so I have been unable to test
> performance. I have heard performance can be upwards of 3x NFS for raw
> write.

Broken how?

> Gluster doesn't have an async write option, so its doubtful it will ever be
> close to NFS async speeds.t
>

> > > Volume set nfs.trusted-sync on
> > > On Ovirt, taking snapshots often enough to recover from a storage crash
> >
> > Note that this would have negative write performance impact
> >

> The difference between NFS sync (<50MB/s) and async (>300MB/s on 10g) write
> speeds should more than compensate for the performance hit of taking
> snapshots more often. And that's just raw speed. If we take into
> consideration IOPS (guest small writes) async is leaps and bounds ahead.

I would test this, since qemu is already doing async I/O (using threads when native AIO is not supported) and oVirt runs it with cache=none (direct I/O) so sync ops should not happen that often (depends on guest).  You may be still enjoying performance boost, but I've seen UPS systems fail before bringing down multiple nodes at once.
In addition, if you do not guarantee your data is safe when you create a snapshot (and it doesn't seem like you are) then I see no reason to think your snapshots are any better off than latest state on disk.

> If we assume the site has backup UPS and generator power and we can build a
> highly available storage system with 3 nodes in quorum, are there any
> potential issues other than a write performance hit?
>
> The issue I thought might be most prevalent is if an ovirt host goes down
> and the VM's are automatically brought back up on another host, they could
> incur disk corruption and need to be brought back down and restored to the
> last snapshot state. This basically means the HA feature should be disabled.

I'm not sure I understand what your concern is here, what would cause the data corruption? if your node crashed then there is no I/O in flight.  So starting up the VM should be perfectly safe.

> Even worse, if the gluster node with CTDB NFS IP goes down, it may not have
> written out and replicated to its peers.  <-- I think I may have just
> answered my own question.

If 'trusted-sync' means that the CTDB NFS node acks the I/O before it reached quorum then I'd say that's a gluster bug.  It should ack the I/O before data hits the disc, but it should not ack it before it has quorum.
However, the configuration we feel comfortable using gluster is with both server and client quorum (gluster has 2 different configs and you need to configure both to work safely).