[Users] concurrent SPICE access [was: Re: oVirt 3.5 planning]

Markus Stockhausen stockhausen at collogia.de
Thu Feb 27 09:19:23 UTC 2014

In the VNC case this does not work. I do not know if its by design or
just a bug/feature. Either Ovirt does not instruct libvirt to create a new
VNC ticket with option "disconnect all connected clients" or this
information is not correctly interpreted by qemu.

If you launch a client that initiates a shared connection to the console
then existing connections will stay open. This magically works if you
use the novnc client (as Sven explained).

The only thing that prevents a concurrent access to the console with
virt-viewer is the fact that it enforces a single VNC connection.

So state is as follows:

SPICE: disconnect happens during ticket creation
VNC: disconnect may happen during client connection

You can check that behaviour if you associate a .VV file with a text editor.
With SPICE the existing console connection is terminated just before the
.VV file opens in the editor. With VNC the existing session stays open.

Markus