[Users] oVirt 3.5 planning - bandwidth accounting

Johan Kooijman mail at johankooijman.com
Thu Feb 27 13:14:32 UTC 2014

Dan,

How about storing the rx_byte per 5 minutes in the engine DB? That way a
reset of the counters has a minimal impact and analytics as "traffic for VM
x in month Y" could be made.

Another approach could be to have iptables keep the count?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:

> There are users that would like to tell how much traffic each vnic of
> each VM has consumed in a period of time. Currently, we report only
> bitrate as a percetage of an estimated vnic "speed". Integrating this
> value over time is inefficent and error prone.
>
> I suggest to have all the stack (Vdsm, Engine, dwh) report the
> actually-trasmitted (and actually-received) byte count on each vnic, as
> well as the time when the sample was taken.
>
> Currently, Vdsm reports
>
>                    'eth0': {'rxDropped': '0',
>                             'rxErrors': '0',
>                             'rxRate': '8.0',
>                             'speed': '1000',
>                             'state': 'up',
>                             'txDropped': '0',
>                             'txErrors': '0',
>                             'txRate': '10.0'},
>
> but it should add rxKiBytes, txKiBytes and time to the frill.
>
> GUI could still calculate the rate for illustration, based on the raw
> trasmission and the sample time.
>
> Until we break backward compatibility, we'd keep reporting the flaky
> rxRate/txRate, too.
>
> I can think of only two problems with this approach: Linux byte counters
> would
> eventually reset when they overflow. This is currently hidden by Vdsm, but
> with
> the suggested change, would have to be handled by higher levels of the
> stack.
>
> A similar problem appears on migration: the counters would reset and Engine
> would need to know how to keep up the accounting properly.
>
> I've opened
>
>     Bug 1066570 - [RFE] Report actual rx_byte instead of a false rxRate
>
> to track this request of mine.

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,
Johan Kooijman

T +31(0) 6 43 44 45 27
F +31(0) 162 82 00 01
E mail at johankooijman.com