[Users] Specifying values for cert, key, and CA for ovirt-shell

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 11:39:36 UTC 2014

On 01/09/2014 11:00 AM, noc wrote:
> On 8-1-2014 23:08, Bob Doolittle wrote:

>>> OK. Here is what I did:
>>> On ovirt-engine: wget https://engine_fqdn/ca.crt --no-check-certificate
>>> and used the following .ovirtshellrc
>>>
>>> [cli]
>>> autoconnect = True
>>> autopage = True
>>> [ovirt-shell]
>>> username = admin at internal
>>> timeout = -1
>>> extended_prompt = False
>>> url = https://engine_fqdn/api
>>> insecure = False
>>> filter = False
>>> session_timeout = -1
>>> ca_file = /root/ca.crt
>>> dont_validate_cert_chain = False
>>> key_file = None
>>> password = ******
>>> cert_file = None
>>
>> Something must be different about our setups. This is where I started.
>>
>> In both cases, either "insecure = True" or when I specify the ca_file
>> only, I get:
>> error: [401] - Unauthorized, HTTP Status 401
>>
>> The one difference is that you are using "ca_file = /root/ca.crt"
>> whereas I am using "ca_file = ca.pem".
>>
>> I can't seem to find any .crt files in the /etc/pki/ovirt-engine area
>> (or, for that matter, in the /etc/pki/vdsm area on the node).
> You have missed the step where I downloaded ca.crt with wget :-)

The "key_file" and "cert_file" parameters are only needed when your web
server has been manually configured to require client SSL certificates,
and this isn't the default configuration, so leave them with None as the
value.

The only SSL parameter that you need to change is "ca_file", and it
should contain the absolute path name of the file containing the
certificate of the authority that signed the certificate of the web
server. If you didn't change the SSL configuration of the web server
then this file is in "/etc/pki/ovirt-engine/ca.pem". So, to summarize,
the parameters that you need to change are the following:

  url = https://your_fully_qualified_host_name/api
  username = admin at internal
  password = the_password_for_the_above_user
  ca_file = /etc/pki/ovirt-engine/ca.pem

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain