[Users] VSDM´s logrotate makes Hosts fill up var eventually

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Thu Jan 9 13:26:31 UTC 2014

Hi!

I just noticed my Hypervisor nodes starting to complain about disks
almost being full. I started investigation and noticed that:
# du -h /var/log/libvirtd.log
100G	/var/log/libvirtd.log

And many Hosts system partition had indeed become full:S

Why weren´t the file rotated? Well:
# ls -lah /var/log/libvirtd.log.* | wc -l
100

And the rotate policy says:
/etc/logrotate.d/libvirtd
## beginning of configuration section by vdsm
/var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log {
    rotate 100
    missingok
    copytruncate
    size 15M
    compress
    compresscmd /usr/bin/xz
    uncompresscmd /usr/bin/unxz
    compressext .xz
}

Now, I just handled it by changing "100" to "1000" but I think that a
better default needs to be placed in general, don´t you?
# rpm -qa | grep vdsm
vdsm-python-4.13.0-11.el6.x86_64
vdsm-python-cpopen-4.13.0-11.el6.x86_64
vdsm-4.13.0-11.el6.x86_64
vdsm-xmlrpc-4.13.0-11.el6.noarch
vdsm-cli-4.13.0-11.el6.noarch

--

Med Vänliga Hälsningar

Karli Sjöberg
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Box 7079 (Visiting Address
Kronåsvägen 8)
S-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone:  +46-(0)18-67 15 66
karli.sjoberg at slu.se