[Users] Networking questions (LONG)

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 15:10:51 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 03:06:28PM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 01/10/2014 01:32 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:53:25PM +0200, Lior Vernia wrote:

> >>That is true. One non-VLAN network can in fact sit on the same NIC with
> >>VLAN networks, but it has to be non-VM.
> >
> >This was devised as a security constraint - otherwise, a VM attached to
> >the non-VLAN network could sniff traffic from another (VLAN) network.
> >However, it seems that this is exactly what you need - a special VM that
> >is designed to do just that.
> >

> isn't that was promiscious mode (aka port mirroring) is for?

Oh that makes more sense...

But unfortunately, it is impossible to mirror more than a single network
onto a vnic. (Engine implementation limitation).

However, one can device a tc-based after_network_setup hook, that
directs all traffic from all bridges onto a specific target bridge, onto
which the firewall VM is connected.

Dan.