[Users] [Engine-devel] Showing stacktrace info in GUI error dialog

Martin Perina mperina at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 06:02:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

I would like to correct a few things in this case.

The reason for patch [1] was to identify, from which part of engine code
InvocationTargetException came from. (more details are at [2] and [3]).
In both cases this exception was not logged in engine.log or server.log

Trying to verify this patch I found out this:

1) If this exception was raised during command/query execution, it would be part
   VdsReturnValue and shown in UI in Operation Canceled dialog. And what's most
   important, the exception would be definitely logged in engine.log

2) If this exception was raised on backend side outside of command/query execution
   (I simulated this by throwing RuntimeException inside Backend.runAction/runQuery)
   it would be shown in UI with HTTP status code (500 in this case) and also would
   be logged in engine.log

3) If this exception was raised somewhere servlet part of frontend code (GenericApiGWTServiceImpl)
   it would also be shown in UI with HTTP status code (500 in this case) and also
   would be logged in server.log

4) For all other cases there is shown dialog in UI with
    'Error while executing action: A Request to the Server failed: XXX'
   where XXX is the exception message. Patch [1] adds stacktrace to this dialog so
   we will be able to identify origin of those rare exceptions.

So the exception was raised somewhere else and since bugs [2],[3] wasn't been successfully
reproduced yet, it's the only way how to find out origin of the exception.

And I should also note, that I have no intention to show stacktrace in UI for "normal"
exceptions described in 1), 2) or 3)

Thanks

Martin

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/23096