[Users] Ovirt in the cloud

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Thu Jan 16 15:02:40 UTC 2014

Hi Rob,

Short answer, it really depends on your provider. But generally using a
single good provider makes life easier and cheaper.

I just had a client where we failed to implement any high available vm
platform due to the way they had set up their uplinks. We had to use an
api to do ip address failover but even then it was not possible to move
a subnet to a different machine. KVM/IMPI/DRAC was not possible and no
fencing devices available. Long answer you have to think about all the
things just like you would when building the cloud on your own hardware

Things you have to consider:

      * What kind of storage will you use  local/glusterfs, iSCSI SAN,
        NFS and how will this be connected to the nodes
      * How will you synchronize the storage between multiple
        providers/datacenter? What kind of interconnect will you have
        between providers? What will this cost me (not cheap!!!)?
      * What kind of interconnect is available between nodes
      * How will you manage ip failover between providers (BGP,
        multicast, ?)
      * What kind of connection do you have between the management
        server and the ovirt nodes (ipsec, openvpn,dedicated line,
      * What are my SPOF's (Single Point Of Faillure)
      * What kind of fencing devices are available
      * Do the different providers have the same setup or is the
        hardware different (predictability of performance)?
      * Will you have to share infrastructure with other clients?
      * What is your maximum acceptable failover/migration time between
        providers?
      * I can go on for a couple of pages

Kind regards,

Jorick Astrego