[Users] oVirt 3.3.3 beta is now available

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 16:05:39 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com> wrote:
> The oVirt team is pleased to announce that the 3.3.3 Beta is now
> available in beta [1] repository for testing.

I would like to say that I was able to pass from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3beta1
without any downtime as far as VMs are concerned and my GlusterFS
based DC.
I also put my line inside wiki testing page.
My setup is composed by a fedora 19 server used as engine (actually a
vSphere VM) + 2 Fedora 19 server used as Hypervisors (BL685 G1
blades).
3 VMs configured: CentOS 5.10, CentOS 6.4, Fedora 20
Starting point is Fedora 19 with stable repo and a GlusterFS Datacenter.
Gluster version on the two nodes is 3.4.2-1.fc19 and I have set quorum
policy this way:

gluster volume set gvdata cluster.quorum-type none

This lets me maintain DC and VMs active also with only one host active
at a time.

Steps done:
- enable beta repo on engine
- engine-setup --> proposed to update ovirt-engine-setup package
- yum update ovirt-engine-setup
- engine-setup --> ok, downloaded new packages and setup
- 1 day test with new engine and keep hosts the same version
- migrate all 3 VMs to the currently SPM host (host2)
- put non SPM host1 in maintenance
- enable beta repo on host1
- stop vdsmd on host1 (possibly not necessary...)
- yum update on host1
- merge between /etc/vdsm/logger.conf and created .rpmnew
NOTE: in December I previously changed DEBUG entries to INFO in this file.
In 3.3.3 they are yet set to DEBUG, but there is a new entry for ha engine
-> it could be useful to put this note in release notes if one simply
updates host and doesn't redeploy it
(in this last case I don't know if a yum remove / yum install is made
or the same "problem" is present...)
In my case before merge this was the situation:
# diff logger.conf logger.conf.rpmnew
2c2
< keys=root,vds,Storage,metadata
---
> keys=root,vds,Storage,metadata,ovirt_hosted_engine_ha
11c11
< level=INFO
---
> level=DEBUG
16c16
< level=INFO
---
> level=DEBUG
22c22
< level=INFO
---
> level=DEBUG
32a33,38
> [logger_ovirt_hosted_engine_ha]
> level=ERROR
> handlers=
> qualname=ovirt_hosted_engine_ha
> propagate=1

43c49
< level=INFO
---
> level=DEBUG

So after the merge I have the new config file but with the INFO
settings instead of DEBUG.
- shutdown -r of host1
- activate host1 in webadmin gui
- migrate all 3 VMs to the new version host1
- some tests accessing consoles
- select host1 as SPM in webadmin gui before working on update for
host2; wait and see --> ok
- put host2 in maintenance
- enable beta repo on host2
- stop vdsmd on host2
- yum update on host2
- merge new /etc/vdsm/logger.conf
- shutdown -r of host2
- activate host2 in webadmin gui
- migrate all 3 VMs to the new version host2
- test access to consoles

Bye,
Gianluca