[Users] [vdsm] The machine type of one cluster

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat Jan 25 21:44:30 UTC 2014

On 01/25/2014 04:23 AM, Kewei Yu wrote:
> Hi all:
>      There is a "machine type" in cluster, It will decide which machine
> of Qemu will be used, When we add the first host into cluster, a default
> machine type is shown. We can correct the DB's value of the engine to
> set the machine type.
>      I just want to know how dose cluster choice the default machine? It
> is decided by VDSM? Qemu? or It is only fixed value in engine's DB?
>
> Regard
> Kewei

basically, for fedora its 'pc', which may have some live migration
issues between different versions in the same cluster.
for .el6, its 'rhel63/rhel64/rhel65/etc.', which is a stable definition
of emulation mode for the cluster (i.e., even a .el7 host should live
migrate to .el6 if we specify its emulation mode as rhel65, etc.)

engine defines per cluster level the expected emulation mode.
vdsm reports from libvirt from qemu, so engine can check the host is a
match.
if the first host in the cluster is fedora, it will be set to 'pc', if
its .el6, it will be set to the 'rhelxx' option.