[Users] vms behaviour when a host shut down

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sun Jan 26 10:50:57 UTC 2014

On 01/24/2014 04:43 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet wrote:
> Typically, we ask to our inverter to send a signal to the host to shut
> down when it runs on his battery so as OS extinction to be "clean". So
> we also want that the guests to shut down cleanly because they are so
> much important than the host, to prevent of database corruption for
> instance. For this, we could imagine host sending an init signal through
> a virtual serial port to the VMs. Do you think it is possible in that or
> an other way?

you should send the engine an API call to either shutdown the VMs, or
migrate them to another host.
moving the host to maint before killing it is also a "nicer" behavior.
if the VMs will die, no via the engine, then the HA ones will be
restarted on another host.
live migrating them if possible would be better than kill/restart.
(but if you ask engine to stop them, rather than migrate them, then you
also have to own starting them again)