[ovirt-users] VDSM respawning too quickly

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Mon Jul 14 20:39:51 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Following an upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4, I've been greeted with this
message in /var/log/messages, on my CentOS 6.5 server.

Jul 14 22:20:29 localhost respawn: slave '/usr/share/vdsm/vdsm
--pidfile /var/run/vdsm/vdsmd.pid' died too quickly, respawning slave
...Repeat lots of times...
Jul 14 22:20:59 localhost respawn: slave '/usr/share/vdsm/vdsm
--pidfile /var/run/vdsm/vdsmd.pid' died too quickly, respawning slave
Jul 14 22:21:00 localhost respawn: slave '/usr/share/vdsm/vdsm
--pidfile /var/run/vdsm/vdsmd.pid' died too quickly for more than 30
seconds, master sleeping for 900 seconds

Everything was working prior to the upgrade, and I made sure to follow
the steps in the release notes.

The best that I can determine, so far, is from this...

[root at atlas ~]# su - vdsm -s /bin/bash
-bash-4.1$
-bash-4.1$ /usr/share/vdsm/vdsm --pidfile /var/run/vdsm/vdsmd.pid
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/vdsm/vdsm", line 39, in <module>
    pthreading.monkey_patch()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pthreading.py", line 154, in
monkey_patch
    raise RuntimeError("You must monkey_patch before importing thread or "
RuntimeError: You must monkey_patch before importing thread or threading modules
-bash-4.1$ whoami
vdsm
-bash-4.1$ rpm -qa | grep -i vdsm
vdsm-python-4.14.6-0.el6.x86_64
vdsm-4.14.6-0.el6.x86_64
vdsm-cli-4.14.6-0.el6.noarch
vdsm-python-zombiereaper-4.14.6-0.el6.noarch
vdsm-xmlrpc-4.14.6-0.el6.noarch
-bash-4.1$

... but I'm not sure if this is part of the problem, or a flaw with my
command line execution of VDSM. All my attempts at starting or
restarting vdsmd results in messages stating that the process has died
too quickly.

Would be very grateful is someone could shed any light on this one!

Regards

Kyle

--
Kyle Gordon - 2M1DIQ