[ovirt-users] [Gluster-devel] Can we debug some truths/myths/facts about hosted-engine and gluster?

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 08:38:16 UTC 2014

On 07/19/2014 08:58 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

> [...]
>>>             filesystem and then re-exported as the native kernel NFS
>>>             share for the
>>>             hosted-engine to consume? It could then be possible to
>>>             chuck ctdb in
>>>             there to provide a last resort failover solution. I have
>>>             tried myself
>>>             and suggested it to two people who are running a similar
>>>             setup. Now
>>>             using the native kernel NFS server for hosted-engine and
>>>             they haven't
>>>             reported as many issues. Curious, could anyone validate
>>>             my theory on this?
>>>

>>>         If we obtain more details on the use case and obtain gluster
>>>         logs from the failed scenarios, we should be able to
>>>         understand the problem better. That could be the first step
>>>         in validating your theory or evolving further recommendations :).
>>>

>>>     ​ I'm not sure how useful this is, but ​Jiri Moskovcak tracked
>>>     this down in an off list message.
>>>
>>>     ​ Message Quote:​
>>>
>>>     ​ ==​
>>>
>>>     ​We were able to track it down to this (thanks Andrew for
>>>     providing the testing setup):
>>>
>>>     -b686-4363-bb7e-dba99e5789b6/ha_agent service_type=hosted-engine'
>>>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>     File
>>>     "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/broker/listener.py",
>>>     line 165, in handle
>>>       response = "success " + self._dispatch(data)
>>>     File
>>>     "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/broker/listener.py",
>>>     line 261, in _dispatch
>>>       .get_all_stats_for_service_type(**options)
>>>     File
>>>     "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/broker/storage_broker.py",
>>>     line 41, in get_all_stats_for_service_type
>>>       d = self.get_raw_stats_for_service_type(storage_dir, service_type)
>>>     File
>>>     "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/broker/storage_broker.py",
>>>     line 74, in get_raw_stats_for_service_type
>>>       f = os.open(path, direct_flag | os.O_RDONLY)
>>>     OSError: [Errno 116] Stale file handle:
>>>     '/rhev/data-center/mnt/localhost:_mnt_hosted-engine/c898fd2a-b686-4363-bb7e-dba99e5789b6/ha_agent/hosted-engine.metadata'
>>     Andrew/Jiri,
>>             Would it be possible to post gluster logs of both the
>>     mount and bricks on the bz? I can take a look at it once. If I
>>     gather nothing then probably I will ask for your help in
>>     re-creating the issue.
>>
>>     Pranith
>>

>> ​Unfortunately, I don't have the logs for that setup any more.. ​I'll
>> try replicate when I get a chance. If I understand the comment from
>> the BZ, I don't think it's a gluster bug per-say, more just how
>> gluster does its replication.
> hi Andrew,
>           Thanks for that. I couldn't come to any conclusions because no
> logs were available. It is unlikely that self-heal is involved because
> there were no bricks going down/up according to the bug description.

Hi,
I've never had such setup, I guessed problem with gluster based on
"OSError: [Errno 116] Stale file handle:" which happens when the file
opened by application on client gets removed on the server. I'm pretty
sure we (hosted-engine) don't remove that file, so I think it's some
gluster magic moving the data around...

--Jirka