[ovirt-users] Recommended setup for a FC based storage domain

Ivan Bulatovic combuster at archlinux.us
Thu Jun 12 16:05:17 UTC 2014

Thanks, I really hope someone can help, because right now I'm afraid to
thin provision any large volume due to this. I forgot to mention that,
when I do the export on the NAS, node that is SPM at that moment is
running qemu-img convert process and VDSM process on that node is
running wild (400% cpu load from time to time), but qemu-img convert
never occupies more than 1 thread (100%). There are a few (4-5) nfsd
processes that are going from 40% to 90%. CPU load on the engine admin
panel shows that vm's that run on SPM show abnormaly high cpu load
(40-60%) and they usually run idle at the time. So:

- Runing exprort when SPM node does not have any vm's running is fast
(thin or fully provisioned, doesn't matteR)
- Running export when SPM node does have 3-4 vm's running is painfully
slow for thin provisioned vm's
- Running export when  SPM node does have 3-4 vm's running but vm that
is exporting is not thin provisioned is fast enough even though vm's on
SPM show an increased cpu load also

I'm yet to measure I/O utilization in all scenarios, but I'm positive on
what I wrote for the thin provisioned volume when there are vms runing
on spm, it goes 15MBps max and just at bursts every three or four
seconds (I measure this on the SPM node because the qemu-img convert
runs on that node, even though vm is residing on another node, with its
thin provisioned disk on its local storage shared via nfs).