[ovirt-users] Qemu guest agent to install RPMs in guest VM from host machine

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 09:52:07 UTC 2014

On 12 Jun 2014, at 12:42, Puneet Bakshi wrote:

> ​​
> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to install RPM packages (available in host system at some path) to the guest VM and want this facility to be available as a tool.
>
> I am thinking of having a gemu guest agent (qemu-ga) running inside guest VM. I did not find any available command ("virsh qemu-agent-command <guest_vm> ...") which can do the same.

why would you use a guest agent (which is primarily targeted for virtualization-related tasks/coordination) rather than a generic remote execution tools (like, well, plain ssh:)
The only benefit/difference with the guest agent is that it doesn't require a network connection. Do you have such a requirement?

> I am planning to implement a command in qemu guest agent, which I can invoke from virsh like below.
>
>     "virsh qemu-agent-command vm_01          \
>         '{"execute":"guest-rpm-install",     \
>           "arguments":{"path":"/usr/local/bin/ABC.rpm"}}
>
> I am able to pass arguments from host to guest VM but how am I supposed to pass the whole RPM image from host to guest (which the guest agent can receive and install)?

exactly;-) So are you trying to come up with something isolated from network completely?
If not I'd go with a dedicated/different tool

Thanks,
michal