[ovirt-users] python-sdk: attach disk snapshot to another virtual machine

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 12:18:05 UTC 2014

On 06/13/2014 10:43 AM, Michael Ablassmeier wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> according to an commit in Oct. 2013 there was a patch added to the SDK
> which allows to attach an existing snapshot to a virtual machine:
>
>   commit 72e67dd5406f3c193234697ce88d92dbe64759d7
>   Author: Michael pasternak <mpastern at redhat.com>
>   Date:   Wed Oct 30 11:24:19 2013 +0200
>      sdk: regenerate against the latest api
>     [..]
>      - added ability to attach a disk snapshot to the virtual machine
>     [..]
>
> I think this may be related to the new backup API:
>
>   http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Backup-Restore_API_Integration
>
> can anyone give me an pointer on how to this through the python-sdk? Or
> is there an example for this anywhere to be found? Thanks!

It should be something like this:

#!/usr/bin/python

import ovirtsdk.api
import ovirtsdk.xml

api = ovirtsdk.api.API(
  url="https://fedora.example.com/ovirt-engine/api",
  username="admin at internal",
  password="****",
  insecure=True,
  debug=False
)

# Find the snapshot that contains the disk that we want to backup:
vm = api.vms.get("myvm")
snaps = vm.snapshots.list()
snap = None
for current in snaps:
    if current.get_description() == "mysnap":
        snap = current

# Find the disk that we want to backup:
disks = snap.disks.list()
disk = None
for current in disks:
    if current.get_name() == "mydisk":
        disk = current

# Find the backup appliance VM:
appliance = api.vms.get("backupvm")

# Attach the disk to the backup appliance:
appliance.disks.add(disk)

# Tell the backup appliance to perform the backup, connecting
# with SSH, or with any other way that the backup appliance
# supports.

# Bye:
api.disconnect()

With a similar script you can also disconnect the disk from the backup
appliance.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain