[ovirt-users] What prevents from using a very very low-end hardware for manager?

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Sun Jun 22 08:06:37 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Nicolas (and other on this thread),
I'd like to clarify one thing, as indeed this sometimes comes up as a question-
Where did oVirt prerequisites come from?

Since the engine may be installed with DWH & reporting, we need to consider
all components' needs including the DB;

The application server is configured to use 1 GiB of heap by default,
plus around 500 threads, which should result around 2 GiB of RSS in
the worst case. To that you have to add the RSS taken by the database,
the operating system, etc.

Adding Jasper requirements as well:

Resource Footprint Minimum         Recommended
Disk     ~1.3 GiB  10GB free       40GB +
RAM                4GB             8GB +
Processor          2 core minimum  2.5GHz + multi-core Pentium

So the end results[1] is around the above numbers to make sure we allow
this installation to work. It is possible to get along with less, if
you will not install some of the components, but this is what we should
expect from a standard installation.

Doron

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Quick_Start_Guide#Prerequisites