[ovirt-users] Windows Guest Agent - Server 2008 R2

Vinzenz Feenstra vfeenstr at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 08:41:48 UTC 2014

On 06/29/2014 03:43 AM, Nathan Llaneza wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am having difficulties getting the oVirt Windows Guest Agent to work
> with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. We are currently running oVirt 3.4.2.
> I have used the instructions from
> http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Guest_Agent_For_Windows. As a side note I
> do have it working on Windows Server 2012 R2.
>
>   * I have installed the Virtio serial drivers from the
>     virtio-win-0.1-81.iso
>   * For troubleshooting purposes I later tried the drivers from the
>     virtio-win-0.1-74.iso
>   * Installed python 2.7.3, Python for Windows extensions, py2exe
>   * Compiled and copied the two exe files to C:\Program Files\Guest
>     Agents\oVirt Guest Agent\
>   * The two files sha1 hash is:
>     OVirtGuestService.exe
>     A5F7FD0A15076437D174D3EF33FE95E42059FF0F
>
>     w9xpopen.exe
>     B4D4623E5522390AEF6F113B5BB6FA8F1CBDC66C
>
>   * Removed all except the top three # symbols from the
>     ovirt-guest-agent.ini file and then copied it to the directory
>     stated above
>   * The sha1 hash for this file is:
>     ovirt-guest-agent.ini
>     3ED609F101D44F52A68969DAD8D6F5F294FA733A
>
>   * Installed the service. It shows up in services.msc.
>   * Configure the service to auto start.
>   * Try to start the service. This is where the problem exist. When I
>     try to start the service I get an error. The error code in Event
>     Viewer within Windows is Event 10.
>
> Under the general tab is states "The description for Event ID 10 from
> source OVirtGuestService cannot be found. Either the component that
> raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the
> installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on
> the local computer."
>
> I have tried to remove the service and re-install with no luck. Any
> suggestions? Thanks!

Can you please check that the default.ini and default-logger.ini files
are also in that folder? They can be found in the
$(project_root)/configurations folder.
These files are now required if you build it from the master branch.

Once you have those two files in the target location, please try to
start the service again.

I am not sure what the Event ID 10 means, it's maybe just that the
process stopped unexpectedly.
Please also be sure that run OvirtGuestService.exe -install from the
location where you keep the binary, otherwise the path to the service
executable will be the wrong location.

Regards,

Vinzenz Feenstra | Senior Software Engineer
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D
Phone: +420 532 294 625
IRC: vfeenstr or evilissimo

See how it works at redhat.com