[Users] Migrate simple configuration to self-hosted

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Sun Mar 16 21:01:42 UTC 2014

Thanks for the careful reading. First to repeat my start point and goals:

> I want to migrate my existing deployment to self-hosted. I have a simple
> deployment:
>
> A: Machine Fedora 20
> B: libvirt VM (hosted on A) RHEL 6.5 running Engine 3.3.4-1
> C: Machine RHEL 6.5 acts as Hypervisor/Host/Node (VDSM 4.13.3-4)
>
> ISO NFS Domain is on B
> Data (Master) NFS Domain is on C
>
> I want to migrate VM B to Machine C, as self-hosted, and free up Machine A

Comments inline:

On 03/16/2014 04:12 AM, Yedidyah Bar David wrote:
> This document assumes the most trivial settings, where the only thing
> you care about is simplicity, stability and minimizing downtime. It
> specifically does not try to use the minimum hardware possible.

I see two demographics interested in migrating their current Ovirt
deployment to self-hosted:
1 Those interested in freeing up a machine to use as another hypervisor.
2 Those (like me) interested in freeing up a machine to use for another
purpose.

Both groups want to free up a machine, presumably because they need more
resources. So I don't think our primary How-To should involve requiring
a new machine in order to migrate. I think many (like me) will find such
a solution intractable.

For those who have resources to spare, the current How-To seems fine,
but that might not be the majority.

> I can think of several different directions:

> Direction 2
> ===========
> If you do not care about uptime - the simplest.
>
> Backup everything(!) - engine VM, other VMs, etc., then start from scratch:
> Reinstall OS on host C, install and deploy hosted-engine there, restore
> actual engine data from backup as described in the wiki.

This sounds like the most interesting approach for my needs. I like
simple, and I can live with some downtime.

Can you give me a complete list of things I should back up please?

Also (and this gets back to my comment about the usefulness of some kind
of date on pages visible to people who are not logged in) there are many
pages regarding backup/restore. Is there one in particular you are
thinking of/recommend? For backing up VMs I imagine it will not be
sufficient for me to export my VMs to an export domain somewhere remote
to host C (which I'll be scratching/reinstalling OS in order to target
self-hosted). Later if I restore actual engine data, and then import my
VMs, I imagine the UUIDs won't match? Or is the UUID preserved across
export/import?

What if I were to create a new temp NFS Storage Domain with my current
oVirt, someplace other than host C, and then move my VMs to it? Then,
after I set up self-hosted and restore my engine data, I could move them
back and nuke my temp domain?

I'm willing to be a guinea pig here, and report back what I find, if I
can get a little more guidance as to avenues that might be useful to pursue.

Many Thanks,
    Bob