[Users] adding scripts

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 15:24:00 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Right, UI plugins are written in JavaScript as their code is dynamically loaded during WebAdmin startup.

Your UI plugin is technically a web application on its own, except that plugin host page [1] is rendered inside invisible <iframe> element.

[1] plugin host page = HTML page responsible for loading actual UI plugin code (no markup, just logic)

UI plugin code can make HTTP requests just like any other web application. This is how you would invoke operations on remote servers.

The easiest way (I think) is to add custom CGI/Bash script into Apache which sits in front of Engine (JBoss AS) server in a typicall oVirt deployment. Your UI plugin would simply hit URL mapped to custom CGI/Bash script, which would execute whatever command is necessary.

Alternatively, you could deploy custom Java web application (*.war) inside Engine Java deployment (engine.ear) so that it co-exists with existing Engine web applications (REST API, WebAdmin, UserPortal, etc).

Finally, a totally custom alternative, run your own HTTP server, enable CORS [2] for requests from Engine origin, and have your UI plugin talk to this custom server.

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing

> 2. is there a constraint as to implementation language, or
> not. I think a JS wrapper can call whatever it wishes, but
> this is not clear to me

Correct, UI plugin itself is JavaScript, it makes no assumptions of server-side technology.

It is up to UI plugin developer to decide if/how the plugin should communicate with remote servers (Engine REST API, call Apache CGI, call custom server, etc).