[ovirt-users] newbee questions

John Smith lbalbalba at gmail.com
Sun May 4 09:54:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

Im very new to virtualization on Linux, wanting to kick the tires
some, and am wondering where best to go next.

Right now, ive done the 'all in one install' of ovirt 3.4 on a single
fedora 19 machine. Its a desktop with a wifi network interface, and im
trying to set up the kvm hypervisor in combination with macvtap. Any
pointers to docs on what best to do next is appreciated. Im currently
trying to make sense of this:
http://www.ovirt.org/Quick_Start_Guide

Also, as far as I can tell, there seems to be an issue with the
detection of my wireless wifi network interface 'wlp2s0' as it doesnt
seem to show up anywhere in the interface. I can attach the
'ovirtmgmt' network to my standard wired ethernet interface 'p2p2',
but that device is not in use on the machine and it is disconnected
from the network.

Reading about linux virt and issues with bridging with wifi NIC's on
the web made me, perhaps incorrectly here, assume that a wifi nic
might be an issue, so thats where the idea to use macvtap came from.

Manual setup of macvtap seems to work, as i can do this without issues
on a root prompt on the same machine:

ip link add link wlp2s0 name macvtap0 type macvtap
ip link set macvtap0 address 1a:46:0b:ca:bc:7b up
ip link show macvtap0

But the wifi interface 'wlp2s0' does not seem to show up in the ovirt
web gui interface.

Im sorry if I sound confusing here, but that may be just because im
really still confused about ovirt.
;)

So any pointers on what to read up on or do next is appreciated,

Thanks,

Regards,

John Smith.