[ovirt-users] Attaching storage to VM via JSON REST

Andrew Morrison andy.wmorrison at gmail.com
Wed May 7 20:23:13 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm exploring using ovirt's REST APIs to manage VM creation/deletion/etc. I
can create the VM, attach an ISO and change boot order, but I'm unable to
attach a storage disk to the VM. I send a POST request to /api/vms/<vm
uuid>/disks with the structure:
{"storage_domain":
    {"name":"am_data",
     "id":"6fbee79d-5b71-48c1-b86c-ee9755a46013"
    },
    "size":"4294967296",
    "type":"system",
    "interface":"ide",
    "format":"raw",
    "sparse":"false",
    "bootable":"true",
    "wipe_after_delete":"false"
}
The response I receive is
{
  "reason" : "Operation Failed",
  "detail" : "[Cannot add Virtual Machine Disk. Storage Domain doesn't
exist.]"
}
For the storage domain, I've tried just the name, just the id, and both
with the same results. When I attach storage from the GUI, the disk is
created/attached fine, and a GET request for the disks of the VM shows the
storage domain as the same as I was attempting to use before.
"storage_domains" : {
      "storage_domain" : [ {
        "id" : "6fbee79d-5b71-48c1-b86c-ee9755a46013"
      } ]
    },

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,