[ovirt-users] newbee questions

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon May 12 10:49:57 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 05:32:41PM -0400, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 05/04/2014 05:54 AM, John Smith wrote:
> >Hi,
> >

> >Im very new to virtualization on Linux, wanting to kick the tires
> >some, and am wondering where best to go next.
> >
> >Right now, ive done the 'all in one install' of ovirt 3.4 on a single
> >fedora 19 machine. Its a desktop with a wifi network interface, and im
> >trying to set up the kvm hypervisor in combination with macvtap. Any
> >pointers to docs on what best to do next is appreciated. Im currently
> >trying to make sense of this:
> >http://www.ovirt.org/Quick_Start_Guide
> >
> >Also, as far as I can tell, there seems to be an issue with the
> >detection of my wireless wifi network interface 'wlp2s0' as it doesnt
> >seem to show up anywhere in the interface. I can attach the
> >'ovirtmgmt' network to my standard wired ethernet interface 'p2p2',
> >but that device is not in use on the machine and it is disconnected
> >from the network.
> >
> >Reading about linux virt and issues with bridging with wifi NIC's on
> >the web made me, perhaps incorrectly here, assume that a wifi nic
> >might be an issue, so thats where the idea to use macvtap came from.
> >
> >Manual setup of macvtap seems to work, as i can do this without issues
> >on a root prompt on the same machine:
> >
> >ip link add link wlp2s0 name macvtap0 type macvtap
> >ip link set macvtap0 address 1a:46:0b:ca:bc:7b up
> >ip link show macvtap0
> >
> >But the wifi interface 'wlp2s0' does not seem to show up in the ovirt
> >web gui interface.
> >
> >Im sorry if I sound confusing here, but that may be just because im
> >really still confused about ovirt.
> >;)
> >
> >So any pointers on what to read up on or do next is appreciated,
> >

> >Thanks,
> >

> >Regards,
> >

> >John Smith.
> >

> ovirt is meant to manage your datacenter, so not the best match for
> running with a wireless nic i guess.
> vdsm may even be filtering it (danken?)

It is, because oVirt only supports bridge-based VM networks, and Linux
does not allow you to bridge a WiFi nic.

To work around this limitation, you could define a NAT-based network in
libvirt http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examplesNAT and use it in
oVirt via vdsm-hook-extnet (a bit more about it in
http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/02/25/extending-rhev-vdsm-hooks/ )

Dan.