[ovirt-users] newbee questions

John Smith lbalbalba at gmail.com
Mon May 12 16:14:40 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:

> A big limitation of the macvtap approach is that it would let you
> connect only a single VM to your WiFi. Is that fine by you?

I wasnt aware of that limitation. No, a single VM limitation would not
be sufficient. I was assuming you could simply do something like this
:

ip link add link wlp2s0 name macvtap0 type macvtap
ip link add link wlp2s0 name macvtap1 type macvtap
ip link add link wlp2s0 name macvtap2 type macvtap

And then assign individual 'interfaces' macvtap0, macvtap1 and
macvtap2 to different VM's. Apparently it doesnt work that way.

> Yes, defining a libvirt network requires using
>
>   virsh net-define <xmlfile>
>
> (you may need to pass the not-so-secret vdsm at ovirt/shibboleth password
> to tinker with libvirt, which is better done on non-production setup)
>
>   virsh net-dumpxml <net-name>
>
> could show you what's already defined, but I don't expect you to have
> interesting networks as of yet.

Thanks, ill start fooling around with virsh net-define and virsh
net-dumpxml then.

> It may not be easy, but I'd be grateful if you report here on what you
> will have accomplished.

No problem. Although after having read your last message, I think I
may be better off using (and start with looking at) your NAT-based
network / vdsm-hook-extnet approach.

Regards,

John Smith.