[ovirt-users] change ovirt and node hostname.fqdn - all in one installation

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 09:27:01 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

Sorry for not replying earlier.

> I have a problem with changing ovirt hostname:
>
> I change the following:
>
> 1. config in /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network and restart machine
>
> 2. /usr/share/ovirt-engine/setup/bin/ovirt-engine-rename --newname=<new
> hostname.fqdn>

This script changes only the fqdn of the engine, not of hosts.

In all-in-one, the same machines plays both roles.

> 3. engine-setup
>
> But still a problem with changing address in node in webadmin portal.

Indeed.

In principle you can try to move your host to maintenance, remove it, then
install again from the gui using the new name. In practice this has more
than one way to fail/loose data/etc., so if you try, better do that on a
test env and/or have good backups.

> Have somebody any idea how to do it?

The only sure way I can think of is to start from scratch. You might be
able to do that by exporting all your VMs to an export domain, engine-cleanup,
engine-setup again with all-in-one and the new name, then import your VMs.
I didn't try that myself.

If all you care about is the name displayed in the web admin interface for
the node, and not its actual name in the dns, you might be able to easily
change that in the db - didn't try that either.

Best,
--
Didi