[ovirt-users] webhook

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 12:28:48 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Agreed. For me, the "webapp side" is really an interesting option, since it
would mean that 3rd parties could write custom code that would consume our
existing Java/Engine "services" (assuming these could be exposed across WARs).

In other words, plug custom Java code into Engine ("inside-product integration"),
as opposed to typical scenario where 3rd party system uses Engine REST interface
("outside-product integration").

> In addition, we will probably need to handle all kinds of issues that rise
> from our singletons at engine - class loading might be an issue here, no?

Hm, Java class loaders have hierarchy, so if we put shared Java "services"
(ideally exposed and injectable as CDI beans) into class loader above specific
webapp (WAR) class loaders, it wouldn't be a problem. But I can be wrong here.

> You don't want the "X-ton" (doubleton, tripleton, etc..) phenomena in your
> setup - you don't want for example X instances of AsyncTaskManager.
> I think that in general we should strive to turn engine into way more
> pluggable/modular than it is now, imagine an "engine microkernel" (for those
> of you who did not hear the term microkernel, I am referring you to jboss
> architecture) - we should have a "thin microkernel" and the rest of the code
> should be pluggable, using the extension API (and perhaps web fragments as
> well).
> What do you think?

Great ideas :)