[ovirt-users] Ovirt VM Performance abd CPU times

Xavier Naveira xnaveira at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 13:33:19 UTC 2014

Ok, so we found a "solution" that I thought I'll share in case this thread
pops up in a future search.

The problem was that our Redhat 5.x guests still run with a kernel that
lacks the "tickeless" feature, meaning that they are poking the host a 1000
times per second even if they haven't anything to do.

Disabling hyperthreading and most importantly, adding the parameter
"divider=10" to the kernel boot line in grub does indeed lower the cpu
utilization in the hosts almost to 0% when idling.

In our case we use the command

sudo /sbin/grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="divider=10"

To upgrade the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and then we restart the vm.

Thank you everyone for the help.

Xavier