[ovirt-users] Power Management - but no LO?

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Wed Nov 19 17:26:56 UTC 2014

Hello Eli,

thanks for getting back to me. Sadly the matter does not seem quite
clear for me right now; at least I have to read deeper into fence agents.

On 19.11.2014 10:26, Eli Mesika wrote:

> [...]
Is there any more documentation available? I found some older docs [1],
are they still valid?
I struggle with how the mapping is done from parameters in the PM tab to
functions in my fence agent, how it is passed to it and how it gets
called in the end.
As I understood so far, oVirt needs to proxy PM/fencing operations and
is using one host of the cluster for fencing; and PM the appropriate
device. Also, I can use engine-config register the fence agent as well
as to map some generic fields.

> If you need any details, please ask but mainly you should look on the scripts in the fence-agents package (/usr/sbin/fence_*) and write something that supports the common flags used by those scripts
Some basic design concepts I thought of so far:
I assume the virsh fence agent could work for me. It ssh's to the host.
I would call shutdown in this case I think?
Further, while compiling the appropriate WOL packet seems trivial in
python, I need to map an NIC MAC address witch I could get from a
parameter in the PM setup. But in this case, any host could be used
execute the script; preferring the engine in this case? Or is this a bad
approach for some reason? (Assuming the NIC is part of ovirt management
net).

I think I can manage to do this once I have figured out the basic stuff.
Strangely, though I found posts by people who also tried to attempt a
WOL fence agent this as not been accomplished it seems. Can you think of
a reason? (I can think of shutdown, witch needs ssh to be done).

Thanks for any help on the issue.

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/HostPMProxyPreferences