[ovirt-users] Nesting Hyper-V

Sven Kieske s.kieske at mittwald.de
Wed Oct 8 06:02:29 UTC 2014

On 08/10/14 00:39, Nathan Llaneza wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I work for a educational institution, and we currently use oVirt in our
> datacenter. We are on the latest stable build of oVirt 3.4.4. Most of our
> hypervisors run CentOS 6.5; however, we have recently been asked if we
> could assign virtual hypervisors (Server 2012 R2) to some of our classes
> for learning purposes. I have been doing some research and found that I
> needed atleast kernel 3.10; therefore, I took one hypervisors and converted
> it to CentOS 7 fully patched. I also installed the nestedvt hook as
> described here
> <http://community.redhat.com/blog/2013/08/testing-ovirt-3-3-with-nested-kvm/>.
>

> I am all researched/googled out, and I am having no luck. After I do a
> typical install of Server 2012 R2 it will not let me install the Hyper-V
> role. I quote "Hyper-V cannot be installed: A hypervisor is already
> running".
>
> When I run the command cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested it comes
> back with a "Y". If I look in the host hooks it shows the nestedvt and
> macspoof. The VM has a custom property of macspoof = true.
>
> Did I miss something? Is this possible? Has anyone done this before?

I guess you need the cpu param
"hv_relaxed" there is a BZ open on it, see
this blog for all cpu flags:

http://blog.wikichoon.com/2014/07/enabling-hyper-v-enlightenments-with-kvm.html

-cpu ...,hv_relaxed,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time

there are plenty of bugs / improvements open, here is the list:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=hv_relaxed&list_id=2902293

I don't know if this really works yet, the performance might be very
poor, even under older vmware stuff it's poor, according to vmware:
https://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen