[ovirt-users] Guest VM Running 160 RCU Processes

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Tue Oct 21 16:13:06 UTC 2014

Was poking at this a little to see if there was any tuning that could affect it and spotted some oddness with the processor counts on my VMs under Ovirt 3.4. They seem to think they only have the proper number I set in ovirt (as shown in /proc/cpu), but if I look at dmidecode, there’s 159 bogus processors listed. I’d expect maybe 16 from the -smp 1,maxcpus=16,sockets=16,cores=1,threads=1 argument to qemu-kvm, but there are 0xa0 of them. Maybe this is a seabios or qemu-kvm issue causing all those extras? Anyway, the # of rcu* processes matches pretty well, so that’s likely where it’s coming from.

At least they shouldn’t be causing a performance issue, given their purpose as non-blocking work threads, but it is odd to see.

Punit, did you open a BZ I can add these details to?

BTW, this appears to be corrected with some component of Ovirt 3.5 (probably qemu-rhev?). On VMs started after I upgraded my Engine (even on 3.4 vdsmds), I’m only seeing 16 “processors” in the bios, and thus only 16 of the various rcu* processes. Could have been a general Centos 6.5 update too, since I did those as well, so I can’t get any finer resolution on that issue (both engine and host nodes, lots of Centos 7 VMs).

If there is a RFE for this, perhaps a configurable max # of CPU sockets for hot add could be added, or it could be limited to the max physical cpu count of the biggest host in the cluster?

  -Darrell