[ovirt-users] Template Clone/Independent vs Thin/Dependent

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 13:56:13 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 09:38 AM, Shanil S wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I am using the ovirt 3.5 and when i create VM from the template through
> Ovirt web portal, it displays Template is "Clone/Independent"but with
> the same template When i create through REST API, it shows
> "Thin/Dependent"...
>
> I Found one email thread (
> https://www.mail-archive.com/users@ovirt.org/msg21271.html ) from the
> community for the same issue but even using their method still it
> display the same "Thin/Dependent".
>
> I am using the following xml :-
>
> <vm>
>  <name>$name</name>
>    <cluster>
>      <name>phase1</name>
>    </cluster>
>    <cpu>
>         <topology cores='$core' sockets='$socket'/>
>       </cpu>
>    <memory>$memory</memory>
>    <template>
>      <name>$templatetype</name>
>    </template>
>   <disks>
>       <clone>true</clone>
>    </disks>
> </vm>
>
> I have attached the screen shots , please check it.

Your XML looks correct. I used it in my 3.5 environment and it works
correctly, creating "Clone/Independent" virtual machines.

What kind of storage are you using? NFS?

Can you try the following script and report the results?

#!/bin/sh -ex

url="https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api";
user="admin at internal"
password="******"

curl \
--verbose \
--insecure \
--request POST \
--user "${user}:${password}" \
--header "Content-Type: application/xml" \
--header "Accept: application/xml" \
--data "
<vm>
  <name>myvm</name>