[ovirt-users] MacPoolRanges not working as expected

Xavier Naveira xnaveira at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:48:59 UTC 2014

On 10/27/2014 10:48 AM, Moti Asayag wrote:

> [...]

Hi Moti,

Thank you for your answer.

I was sitting the whole day yesterday with one of your colleagues via
IRC with this.

Let me go straight to the point: It wasn't an oVirt problem :)

It was, as it often happens, a chain of unfortunate circumstances.

First we hit the MacPoolAddress limit, we had, as described, some
problems to expand it but we found the way. Right after that the
APPARENTLY same problem reappeared, and so we focused in the
MacPoolRanges issue, trying to debug what it seemed some kind of network
problem in the virtualization stack.

Analyzing the network traffic we realized that the actual problem wasn't
anywhere near oVirt, the problem was that we weren't receiving DHCP ACK
(the rest of packets were going through just fine) and this was caused
by a default value in the firewall (we use dhcp relays and there was a
limit in the routing table used by that: 256).

So reaching the same limit (256) in two different systems that affected
the same feature (ability of getting network to work and thus pxe boot
hte hosts) was the problem. Increasing both limits solved it.

Thank you so much for the answer and keep the excellent work with ovirt up!

Xavier