[ovirt-users] Simple script to split VMs on different host - No affinity group

Amedeo Salvati amedeo at oscert.net
Thu Oct 30 19:23:27 UTC 2014

hello guys,

if you are interested, I wrote a simple python script to balance VMs on
different host/hypervisor, logic is simple and will search for same
couple of vm name and number suffix, odd and even, and it will try to
migrate even VM, if it resides on same host where resides the odd VM.

For example if VMPROJ1PROD01 and VMPROJ1PROD02 resides on same host,
then, the script will migrate only VMPROJ1PROD02.

url of script and rpms are on github:

http://github.com/amedeos/ovirt-BalanceVMOnDifferentHost

and feel free to suggest new patch, enhancement, create a fork...

p.s. I haven't use affinity groups, because maintenance of them will
become a struggle, and I want *only* to run same project/application VMs
with same name on different hypervisor.

Best regards
Amedeo Salvati