[ovirt-users] [hosted-engine] cluster network setup deadlock

Yuriy Demchenko demchenko.ya at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 08:25:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

i'm testing hosted-engine in my lab and have some issues doing network
configuration of my cluster
I have 2 hosts + storage (iscsi/nfs), each with 2 NICs. My aim is highly
available platform, so it must tolerate loss of one NIC, thus i want to
use bonding + vlans, scheme like this:
bond device used as ovirtmgmt network (mgmt/display/migration, not a VM
net) with no vlan tagging and several vlan-tagged networks for VMs and
storage connection on top of it. I use that kind of scheme all the time
with non-selfhosted ovirt, as it provides reliability, requires only 2
nics, allows pxe-kickstarting and requires no switch reconfiguration
during/after host setup.
However, with self-hosted engine i'm stuck - at deploy stage installer
setups engine VM into ovirtmgmt network, making it VM network and i cant
change it afterwards: when i uncheck "vm network" in web-interface for
ovirtmgmt - it couldnt apply changes on host that running engine-vm (ok,
thats expected), but if i setup another host with desired network
configuration (i.e. ovirtmgmt - not a vm network + separate vlan-tagged
networks for vm) it just couldnt migrate or start engine-vm, as it lacks
"ovirtmgmt" bridge interface.
So, is there any way to change engine-vm network settings to run it on
different bridge, not ovirtmgmt?

--
Yuriy Demchenko