[ovirt-users] Template Independent vs Dependent

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 09:04:35 UTC 2014

On 09/24/2014 08:40 PM, J. Mikulec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> if I create VM from template through web manager, it shows in General -
> Template "Clone/Independent". When created through REST API, it shows
> "Thin/Dependent". When it is Thin/Dependent, it is not possible to
> remove used template but VM creation is much faster. I would like to
> have more info about this but cannot find any. So I cannot find how to
> create Independent with REST API.
>
> Thanks, Jiri

You have to use the "disks.clone" parameter, for example:

#!/bin/sh -ex

url="https://ovirt.example.com/ovirt-engine/api"
user="admin at internal"
password="******"

curl \
--verbose \
--insecure \
--request POST \
--user "${user}:${password}" \
--header "Content-Type: application/xml" \
--header "Accept: application/xml" \
--data "
<vm>
  <name>myvm</name>