[ovirt-users] benefit to spice-xpi plugin over native spice and remote-viewer

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Mon Apr 6 13:31:53 EDT 2015

Hi.

I'm wondering if someone can explain the benefit to using the spice-xpi
plugin to access a console versus using remote-viewer "natively" from
the browser, specifically on a RHEL system?  In particular, if you have
the virt-viewer package installed, and not spice-xpi, and you go to
visit a console, then the client downloads the configuration file,
/tmp/console.vv, and calls "remote-viewer /tmp/console.vv".  On the
other hand, if you have spice-xpi installed, it seems that the client
doesn't need to download the configuration file first, but calls
"remote-viewer --spice-controller".  In both cases, it appears to me
that the result is the same.  However, using spice-xpi, there seems to
be an additional 4 seconds delay before I get to the console.  The time
doesn't really matter.  I'm just wondering if there's a benefit to using
spice-xpi?

Jason.