[ovirt-users] Migrating to a Hosted Engine does not work as expected. Cluster name/id problem?

Gustavo Campos guhcampos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:41:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've been trying for sometime to migrate from a bare metal to a hosted
engine. Failed about 6-7 times now.

Facts:

- Ovirt Engine version is 3.4
- 6 hosts on a cluster named "MYCLUSTER", Westmere CPU Type
- About 50 VM's on "MYCLUSTER" cluster.
- NFS Storage domain
- Cluster "Default" is empty: no hosts, no VM's, only the "Blank"
template (I didn't know I could just rename it when I deployed it)

The first times I tried to deploy it, the hosted-engine VM and host
ended up in the "Default" cluster. So I renamed the "Default" cluster
"Default1" and then "MYCLUSTER" to "Default" using the web gu on the
bare metal manager, prior to generating the backup I later restored on
the hosted one.

This time, the host was correctly added to "Default" together with the
other hosts and VM's, but the hosted engine VM was added to the
"Default1" cluster.

I'm then left with:

- a HostedEngine VM which looks down on the engine, even though I'm
looking at the web-gui running on it.
- a host that shows 1 vm running on it, but have no Vm's listed
- trying to do anything with the HostedEngine Vm on the web-gui issues
"VM is not managed by this engine" error
- trying to move it to the "Default" cluster shows the same error

I then decided to take a look at the engine DB and tried to alter
tables vm_static and vm_dynamic to reflect the correct cluster
(vds_group_id) and host configuration, but that did not work (I didn't
have a lot of hope anyway).

I'm now back to a working bare metal engine. Is there a way to go
around this problem?

--
Gustavo Campos