[ovirt-users] Adding running oVirt node to configuration

Logan McNaughton logan at bacoosta.com
Mon Apr 27 01:18:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm just doing some research into oVirt, and I have this question:

Can I add a running (live VM's) oVirt node into the oVirt Engine? In
Vsphere I can do this (have an independent ESXi host with running VM's, and
add it into vCenter to manage).

Some examples where you want this:

   - My oVirt engine is screwed up and I want to install a fresh Engine
   without any VM downtime.
   - I want to move an oVirt host and all it's VM's from one engine to
   another.

One other question, let's say my oVirt engine is down/messed up, but I
really need to manage a VM (power on/off), can I log directly into the
oVirt host and interact directly with KVM to start/stop the VM, without
messing anything up when the Engine is working again? Again, something I
can do in Vsphere.

Thanks,
Logan