[ovirt-users] Ovirt/Gluster

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 09:30:57 UTC 2015

On 08/21/2015 01:21 PM, Sander Hoentjen wrote:

> On 08/21/2015 09:28 AM, Ravishankar N wrote:

>>> vdsm-4.16.20-0.el7.centos.x86_64
>>> ovirt-engine-3.5.3.1-1.el7.centos.noarch

>>> Fencing means (at least in this case) that the IPMI of the server
>>> does a power reset.

>>> Logs are attached. Problem was at around 8:15 - 8:20 UTC
>>> This time however the vm stopped even without a reboot of hyp03
>>

>> The mount logs  (rhev-data-center-mnt-glusterSD*) are indicating
>> frequent disconnects to the bricks  with 'clnt_ping_timer_expired',
>> 'Client-quorum is not met' and 'Read-only file system' messages.
>> client-quorum is enabled by default for replica 3 volumes. So if the
>> mount cannot connect to 2 bricks at least, quorum is lost and the
>> gluster volume becomes read-only. That seems to be the reason why the
>> VMs are pausing.
>> I'm not sure if the frequent disconnects are due a flaky network or
>> the bricks not responding to the mount's ping timer due to it's epoll
>> threads busy with I/O (unlikely). Can you also share the output of
>> `gluster volume info <volname>` ?
> The frequent disconnects are probably because I intentionally broke
> the network on hyp03 (dropped 75% of outgoing packets). In my opinion
> this should not affect the VM an hyp02. Am I wrong to think that?

For client-quorum, If a client (mount)  cannot connect to the number of
bricks to achieve quorum, the client becomes read-only. So if the client
on hyp02 can see itself and 01, it shouldn't be affected.

> [root at hyp01 ~]# gluster volume info VMS
>
> Volume Name: VMS
> Type: Replicate
> Volume ID: 9e6657e7-8520-4720-ba9d-78b14a86c8ca
> Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: 10.99.50.20:/brick/VMS
> Brick2: 10.99.50.21:/brick/VMS
> Brick3: 10.99.50.22:/brick/VMS
> Options Reconfigured:
> performance.readdir-ahead: on
> nfs.disable: on
> user.cifs: disable
> auth.allow: *
> performance.quick-read: off
> performance.read-ahead: off
> performance.io-cache: off
> performance.stat-prefetch: off
> cluster.eager-lock: enable
> network.remote-dio: enable
> cluster.quorum-type: auto
> cluster.server-quorum-type: server

I see that you have enabled server-quorum too. Since you blocked hyp03,
the if the glusterd on that node cannot  see the other 2 nodes due to
iptable rules, it would kill all brick processes. See the "7 How To Test
" section in
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Server-quorum
to get a better idea of server-quorum.