[ovirt-users] Setting PXE boot via Python API

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 08:06:06 UTC 2015

> On 03 Dec 2015, at 22:59, Jamie Lawrence <jlawrence at squaretrade.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m currently playing with scripted VM creation and have an issue getting the newly created VM to PXE boot. My objective is to port some creation scripts from the environment this will eventually replace and worry about making this more “Ovirt-ey” later.
>
> Skipping the details, everything is happy through creation, and when I boot it, it attempts to boot from a ‘disk' and fails, and I don’t understand why.
>
> Following the creation of the VM, creation/attachment of the disk and net,
>
>        boot_dev = params.Boot(dev='network')
>        vm.os.set_boot([boot_dev])
>        vm.set_os(params.OperatingSystem(cmdline=kernel_cmd))
>        vm.update()
>
> kernel_cmd there evaluates to a fairly typical PXEboot string that works with our legacy setup - there isn’t really anything exotic going on. The BIOS doesn’t show any attempt at a PXE boot - it goes straight to the disk, declares it unbootable (because it was just created and is blank), and halts. It feels like the set_boot line is wrong or ignored, but this is new to me.

Hi,
if you look for a one-time boot off PXE, and then from hdd after installation finishes (which is the most frequent use case), you can use “Run Once” to override the “default” boot order. Instead of modifying the VM configuration twice.

Nevertheless, the above should work, so I would start checking if the VM is indeed configured correctly (bug on ovirt side) or we create it ok but there’s a bug in lower layers (libvirt, qemu, ipxe). If you can check the VM in UI there is a “VM Devices” subtab new in 3.6 which can tell you if it even has a NIC attached; and there is the final libvirt domain xml being logged in /var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log when you launch the VM - there you can doublecheck the VM is started as expected

Thanks,
michal