[ovirt-users] oVirt 3.6: Dummy interfaces

Frank Wall fw at moov.de
Sun Dec 27 21:34:40 UTC 2015

Hi Alan,

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:37:17AM -0800, Alan Murrell wrote:
> Are dummy interfaces still supported in 3.6?

I'm running ovirt 3.6 AiO and dummy interfaces are working just fine.
Instead of modifying oVirt's python source files, I'd recommend you
rename the dummy interface(s) to match the required pattern.

I've setup a service for this by creating /etc/systemd/system/dummynics.service
with the following content:

[Unit]
Description=Rename dummy network interfaces for oVirt

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy0 name dummy_0
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy1 name dummy_1
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy2 name dummy_2
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy3 name dummy_3
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Then enable this service as follows:

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable dummynics
systemctl status dummynics

Of course, you need to use the new dummy_* names when configuring the
network interfaces. I'd recommend to reboot the host after making these
changes.

Regards
- Frank