[ovirt-users] Dedicated NICs for gluster network

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Wed Dec 30 20:55:52 UTC 2015

Hi Ivan, Nathanaël and everyone,

Today, I finally upgraded this oVirt 3.5.2 into 3.6.1, and I saw
appearing the gluster network in the networks settings.
I'm not using it yet because I still have questions.

I think I perfectly understood your answer, but there are points I'd
like to know better :

- I'm not sure that using DNS or /etc/hosts is making any difference.
Once every dedicated NIC is using a dedicated ip address, with the
dedicated DNS-record + PTR, I see no benefit to use /etc/hosts... ?

- The oVirt setup I'm working on in this discussion is an
storage+compute setup (oVirt+gluster on the same hosts). That means that
my oVirt nodes are both clients and servers of themselves - data storage
speaking.
I'm worrying about not specifying any gateway for the gluster network :
* How will all my hosts - as gluster clients - be able to find a route
towards the gluster network (gluster servers)?
* How will my guest - my VMs as gluster clients - be able to find a
route towards the gluster network (indeed, sometimes also provided that
way!) ?

- Obviously, all this wouldn't be that fun if is wasn't already in
production (well OK, QA), and thus I have to change the ip of my gluster
nodes
(https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2014-May/017328.html).

--
Nicolas ECARNOT