[ovirt-users] Configuring another interface for trunked (tagged) VM traffic

Will Dennis wdennis at nec-labs.com
Thu Dec 31 18:56:02 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Taking the next step on configuring my newly-established oVirt cluster, and that would be to set up a trunk (VLAN tagged) connection to each cluster host (there are 3) for VM traffic. What I’m looking at is akin to setting up vSwitches on VMware, except I have never done this on a VMware cluster, just on individual hosts…

Anyhow, I have the following NICs available on my three hosts (conveniently, they are the exact same hardware platform):

ovirt-node-01 | success | rc=0 >>
3: enp4s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
4: enp4s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
5: enp12s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master ovirtmgmt state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
6: enp12s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000

ovirt-node-02 | success | rc=0 >>
3: enp4s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
4: enp4s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
5: enp12s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master ovirtmgmt state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
6: enp12s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000

ovirt-node-03 | success | rc=0 >>
3: enp4s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
4: enp4s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
5: enp12s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master ovirtmgmt state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
6: enp12s0f1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000

As you may see, I am using the ‘enp12s0f0’ interface on each host for the ‘ovirtmgmt’ bridge. This network carries the admin traffic as well as Gluster distributed filesystem traffic, but I now want to establish a separate link to each host for VM traffic. The ‘ovirtmgmt’ bridge is NOT trunked/tagged, only a single VLAN is used. For the VM traffic, I’d like to use the ‘enp4s0f0’ interface on each host, and tie them into a logical network named “vm-traffic” (or the like) and make that a trunked/tagged interface.

Are there any existing succinct instructions on how to do this? I have been reading thru the oVirt Admin Manual’s “Logical Networks” section (http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Administration_Guide#Logical_Network_Tasks) but it hasn’t “clicked” in my mind yet...

Thanks,
Will