[ovirt-users] reporting and removing unmanaged networks after deprecating org.ovirt.engine.core.common.action.VdcActionType#SetupNetworks

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 13:57:50 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Lior Vernia" <lvernia at redhat.com>

The proposed design for the new host networking api is consistent with the
vdsm api, as long as a network can be identified by its id (uuid).

The only case which isn't supported is performing an action for a network
which cannot be identified by its id, i.e. unmanaged networks.

This also requires from the engine to manage the relevant unmanaged networks
entries when 'getVdsCaps' is called, and network configuration is persisted.
But this goes more into the detailed design section.

> > We thought about several possibilities and so far the best one is following
> > one.
> >
> > Reporting unmanaged networks on specific nic:
> > ———————————————————————————————————————————————
> >
> > We'd like to return new collection under:
> > GET http://localhost:8080/api/hosts/{id}/nics/{id}/unmanagednetworks
>
> In my opinion it might be more convenient at part of
> /api/hosts/{id}/unmanagednteworks - maybe going deeper isn't necessary.

+1, also there is a case where a network is not attached to any nic (nicless
network)

also add:

 GET
 http://localhost:8080/api/hosts/{id}/unmanagednetworks/{unmanaged_network_name}

> > returning (reporting) unmanaged networks like this:
> >
> > <unmanaged_networks>
> >     <unmanaged_network>
> >         <nic_name>...</nic_name>

I'd define this element as an optional and would replace it with <host_nic> which
represents either nic_name or nic_id.

> >         <unmanaged_network_name>...</unmanaged_network_name>

I'd replace this simply by name, which should also be the unique identifier of the
network on a single host.

> >         <vland_id>...</vland_id>

I'm not sure if we should maintain any further information about that network.
All we care of is removing it.

> >     </unmanaged_network>
> >

> >     <unmanaged_network>
> >     </unmanaged_network>