[ovirt-users] New user intro & some questions

George Skorup george at mwcomm.com
Tue Feb 10 19:27:57 UTC 2015

Thanks Jason. I think that's exactly what I did on my second attempt.
Restarting VDSM must've been the kick in the pants that it needed. And I
believe the key is to let oVirt do the gluster peer probing.

I think this is what I did:
-create gluster engine volume on first host only
-install hosted engine on first host
-hosted-engine --deploy on remaining hosts
-enable gluster service for the cluster in the UI
-only the first host will be listed, attempt import, it will fail,
cancel out
-gluster peer status now shows the peers connected, but I also manually
probed all IPs and FQDNs for good measure
-log out of UI, set global maintenance, power down engine VM, stop
vdsmd, libvirtd, ovirt-ha-agent and ovirt-ha-broker
-force sanlock shutdown and unmount engine NFS on all hosts
-add-brick replica for engine volume, kickstart replication (which I
forgot to do)
-add meta volume, set up CTDB, edit /etc/hosts, etc.
-start vdsmd, libvirtd, ovirt-ha-agent & ovirt-ha-broker
-set global maintenance none and wait for engine to start
---mine wouldn't start because gluster said FS was read-only, probably
because of failed replication. Heal full didn't do anything. I tried
replace-brick commit force and that seems to have brought it back
online, but I'm still not sure if replication of the engine volume is
happening.

Finally got the engine started, logged into the UI and found all the
gluster stuff magically working. Then I added data and iso volumes
(within the UI), set up the domains, uploaded some ISOs and added a
couple VMs.

That's where I'm at now. I'm sure I did lots of things wrong and/or
backwards. :) I don't *need* to manage gluster from the UI, but it's
easier to demonstrate to the less technical folks around here, you know,
the ones that expect a GUI for everything.